POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with digital painting : Re: Adventures with digital painting Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:24:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adventures with digital painting
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Mar 2008 05:02:31
Message: <47cd1e37@news.povray.org>
I didn't get very far with the GIMP. The extreme uncontrollability of
the lines made me give up rather quickly. PhotoShop seems much better in
this regard, although I still couldn't get decent curves out of the
cheap optical mouse.

I did play around with layers. Apart from PhotoShop mysteriously
changing the active layer every 3 seconds, it worked quite well. I had a
go at scanning one of my drawings, inking it up, colouring and
counter-shading it.

One thing I did have a problem with is that the brush tool draws
beautifully anti-aliased lines, but then the flood fill tool doesn't
fill right up to the edges. It leaves a useless white gap around the
edges of the lines. Presumably there's a simple way around this?

Also, I haven't yet figured out how to fill in the counter-shading
without accidentally drawing over the outlines. (But I didn't really
look into it very much, so it might be something simple.)

I also had a go at reading the paper manual - but, apart from several
*extensive* chapters on how to import, catelogue and organise your
photos (yeah, like I care), most chapters were 1 page long and said
"hey, yeah, there's this cool feature - see the online help for more
info". Very useful.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/